Pages

Sunday 10 March 2013

Happy Mother's Day...

Did you know ???

         In UK, Mothers Day celebrations started by the name of
Mothering Sunday, several years before the tradition found its roots in UK. Mothering Sunday came to be celebrated following the practice in UK of 17th century wherein children of poor families were send to work as apprentice and domestic servants with the rich. These children were allowed to visit their 'Mother Church' or the Cathedral of their home town annually in the middle of the fasting month of Lent. Children met their mothers after visiting the church and presented them with flowers and special 'Mothering Cakes'. The custom received a set back with the advent of Industrial Revolution when the lifestyles changes. American soldiers contributed in the revival of the tradition after the World War II.


Here is the card I made for my Mum using LCI Floral Delights coloured in using my Promarkers and paper and ribbon from my stash.

 
a closer look

 
 
Wishing all Mum's all over the world (although we don't share the same day ?!?) a wonderful Mothering Sunday.
 
Hugs
 
Susan xx

5 comments:

  1. Lovely card I like the glitters on the flowers.
    Gr Elly

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh i bet your mum loved it ... love the papers and that image is so cheerful
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous card, love the colours bet your mum loved it xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty card. Thanks for the history on Mothering Sunday. i didn't know that. x

    ReplyDelete

I know how time consuming leaving comments is - so I really do appreciate all messages left for me. It truly makes my day.
Hugs Susan x